Letter to the Parties to the Aarhus Convention on public participation and access to information at the International Civil Aviation Organization
In 2016, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) adopted the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA), a global scheme with the objective of achieving “carbon-neutral growth” after 2020, relying on the use of carbon offsets and sustainable aviation fuel.
In this information note to the Parties of the Aarhus Convention, the International Coalition for Sustainable Aviation (ICSA) expresses concerns about lack of transparency and access to information in the context of the ICAO work on CORSIA.
Parties to the Aarhus convention should consider the following recommendations:
● Broaden observer diversity: Countries which are members of the ICAO Council should propose and support that interested observer organisations be allowed to apply for ICAO observer status instead of limiting participation by invitation only. The number of observers should not be limited.
● Hold meetings open to the public: Countries which are part of the CAEP should request that CAEP meetings follow rule 17 of the general rules of procedure for standing committees and be held open by default.
● Provide access to important documents: All countries should follow rule 41 of the general rules of procedure for standing committees which allows committee documents, including Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs), to be provided to the public.
● Improve public engagement in decision making: All countries should call on the ICAO Council and CAEP to invite public input to ICAO decision making processes and make input received from observer organisations publicly available.
● Encourage democracy: All countries should share the texts of Committee decisions, together with Committee working papers and other papers with their democratic institutions pursuant to rule 42 of the general rules of procedure for standing committees.
29 Oct 2020
Airlines continue to push against climate policies as EU Commission proposes new rules
15 Sep 2020
EU lawmakers support the expansion of Europe’s carbon market to shipping as global talks are adrift
28 Aug 2020