Thank you for your interest in working for Carbon Market Watch!
Finance and HR Manager
At a time of rapid and accelerating global warming, we have no time to lose to turn down the global thermostat. Carbon Market Watch is uniquely placed with its expertise on carbon pricing both to monitor efforts to slash emissions and to propose policy paths that will lead to a truly carbon-neutral future.
Purpose of the position
We are recruiting an experienced Finance and HR Manager for a full-time position, ideally starting in December 2021. The Finance and HR Manager will be based in Belgium and work partly out of our Brussels’ office and remotely from home. S/he will report to our Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Provide reliable financial information for decision making
● Maintain financial and administrative systems to ensure smooth and efficient processes
● Develop the organisational and project budgets
● Carry out day-to-day financial administration (invoice handling, cashflow checks, payments)
● Maintain bookkeeping up-to-date in the accounting system in accordance with applicable laws and regulations
● Ensure compliance of CMW procedures and policies with funder guidelines, national laws and regulations
● Coordinate financial reporting and compliance of project partners (EU & foundation grants);
● Prepare financial reports to funders and internal
● Monitor budget vs incurred costs on a quarterly basis
● Prepare the annual independent audit, project audits and VAT tax returns
● Coordinate the payroll preparation with the social secretariat
● Prepare employment contracts and obtain necessary legal advice
● Be the team reference for HR-related matters (timesheets, holiday planning etc)
● Office management tasks
Required skills and experience
● Over 5 years working in a finance and accounting position preferably in a Belgian based organisation with international links
● Experience working with grant-based accounting
● Experience working with EC contracts
● Thorough knowledge of accounting software, notably Winbooks, and Excel
● Proficiency in French and English
● Ability to work independently
● Good interpersonal skills
● Identification with the goals and objectives of the organisation
● A trustworthy and responsible attitude to work.
What we offer
● A full-time, permanent contract under Belgian law
● A competitive remuneration package in line with Brussels standards;
● Starting date as early as possible
Carbon Market Watch is an equal opportunities employer committed to reflecting the rich diversity of society in our work and our team. We strongly encourage candidates from minority backgrounds to apply. However, candidates must have the right to work in the EU.
Qualified applicants should send their CV and a cover letter by Tuesday 9th November to [email protected]
Please be sure to include the following:
● state in your motivation letter how you came across the vacancy
● name any attachments using this format “surname, name, CV/motivation letter”
● put your name and “for Finance & HR Manager” in the subject line of the application email.
Your application will be acknowledged, but we are unable to respond to individual enquiries.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews are scheduled to take place in the week of 15 November.
We tend to hire two interns per year for periods up to six months. In conformity with the Belgian system, internships are either for students enrolled in university courses and counting towards course credits. Such internships are unpaid. Otherwise, internships can be for recent graduates (“immersion professionelle”) and are also non-remunerated, but a small stipend is paid.
If you wish to be considered for an internship, please fill out the form below. The next internship openings will be in September 2021.