Thank you for your interest in working for Carbon Market Watch! We are currently looking for candidates for the following open position:
Vacancy for Policy Officer
Carbon Market Watch’s mission is to ensure that carbon pricing and other climate policies cut pollution and drive a just transition towards zero-carbon societies. Given the urgency of halting the climate breakdown, we want market-based climate policies to fulfil their promise and be used in wise combination with regulatory and incentivising measures.
Our strengths lie in evidence-based advocacy to improve climate policies, turning complex issues into comprehensible messages, and helping people understand and influence those policies.
Purpose of the position
We are seeking an analytical, strategic and enthusiastic policy officer to support our work on international climate policies, with a special focus on delivering research and analytical briefings on carbon markets and carbon pricing.
The position will have a strong focus on policy analysis, research and political communications. The policy officer will report to the Policy Director while working closely with the entire CMW team.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Monitor and analyse relevant climate policy developments and identify policy recommendations
- Write, edit and disseminate information, including research, briefings, and news articles
- Coordinate policy positions and campaign strategies with other NGOs and network partners
- Liaise and interact with relevant stakeholders like decision-makers, business and industry representatives, researchers and funders
- Organise events, webinars and other outreach activities
- Actively support and contribute to Carbon Market Watch´s fundraising efforts and reporting requirements.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of three years of relevant experience, but applications from outstanding candidates with less experience will also be considered.
Professional and personal attributes
The ideal candidate should have the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- A strong commitment to environmental protection and sustainable development
- Knowledge of international political institutions and policy-making (extra EU knowledge will be an asset)
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills, drafting of briefing papers and experience with climate change policy analysis
- Comfort with research projects and organising analytical processes
- Ability to work independently, and flexibly with team members
- Ability and willingness to build contact networks among a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication, writing and organisational skills
- Fully proficient spoken and written English. Other languages (especially French and Spanish) are a strong advantage
- Residence in Belgium and ability to work in/from our office in Brussels (when allowed under covid-19 measures), in combination with tele-working.
- Expertise in at least two of the following fields: carbon pricing, voluntary carbon markets, compliance markets, Article 6 of the Paris Agreement
- Experience of working in an international organisation, or in a relevant advocacy role (NGOs, think-tanks, industry…)
- Proven experience in writing and editing policy and communication outputs, and adapting messages to different audiences (political, technical, media).
What we offer
- A full time, one year contract under Belgian law with the possibility of extension to a permanent contract
- A competitive remuneration package in line with Brussels NGO standards: salary range from 3370 € to 3790 € gross/month depending in particular on years of experience; 13th month, cheques repas, mobile phone package, local public transport pass.
- Starting date: April 2021 (as early as possible)
Qualified applicants should send their CV and a motivation letter, addressing the competencies required by Friday 19th February to [email protected].
Please put your name and “for policy officer” in the subject line of the application email. Your application will be acknowledged, but we will not respond to individual enquiries and only get back to candidates for interview. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation and therefore strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and minorities to apply.
Interviews are scheduled to take place in the week of 1 March.
For more information about Carbon Market Watch, visit www.carbonmarketwatch.org.
If you would like to be added to our recruitment database, please kindly complete the following form: