How to keep hot air out of the Paris Agreement – technical proposal
This document is addressed to Article 6 negotiators and Heads of Delegations at COP25, and proposes a detailed and structured text to address the issues described in the briefing “Empty targets? How to avoid the trading of hot air under the Paris Agreement”.
Key numbers from the briefing:
● The potential supply of available CERs for emission reductions taking place until 2020: 4 billion
● Supply of unused ERUs: 220 million
● Supply of AAUs generated during the first commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol: 14.1 billion
● Estimated supply or AAUs which could be generated under a second commitment period of the Kyoto protocol (taking into account the effect of the Doha amendment): 1.7 billion
● The estimated amount of hot air in current NDCs: 18.7 – 28.3 GtCO2e
Download briefing “Empty targets? How to avoid the trading of hot air under the Paris Agreement” here
10 Jun 2021
How can the EU Emissions Trading System drive the aviation sector’s decarbonisation?
7 Jun 2021
Europe’s industry polluters make €50 billion in carbon market windfall profits
7 Jun 2021
The Phantom Leakage – Industry windfall profits from Europe’s carbon market 2008-2019
27 May 2021