This document is addressed to Article 6 negotiators and Heads of Delegations at COP25, and proposes a detailed and structured text to address the issues described in the briefing “Empty targets? How to avoid the trading of hot air under the Paris Agreement”.
Key numbers from the briefing:
● The potential supply of available CERs for emission reductions taking place until 2020: 4 billion
● Supply of unused ERUs: 220 million
● Supply of AAUs generated during the first commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol: 14.1 billion
● Estimated supply or AAUs which could be generated under a second commitment period of the Kyoto protocol (taking into account the effect of the Doha amendment): 1.7 billion
● The estimated amount of hot air in current NDCs: 18.7 – 28.3 GtCO2e
Download briefing “Empty targets? How to avoid the trading of hot air under the Paris Agreement” here