- Daily updates
- COP26 events in which CWM is involved
- COP26 articles
- COP26 vlogs
- Our demands
- Our publications
Saturday 6 November
"Carbon-packed fossil fuels are not carbon neutral and cannot become so."— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 6, 2021
CMW's Jonathan Crook unpacks the latest greenwashing fad: so-called carbon-neutral fossil fuels.
More: https://t.co/hLLbGmbG1Y#COP26 #ClimateCrisis #ClimateAction pic.twitter.com/U1tOFhNRbz
Friday 5 November
Low-income countries have barely benefited from @UNFCCC flexible mechanisms🙄— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 5, 2021
How can we ensure that voluntary #carbonmarkets benefit the most vulnerable nations on🌎?
Join @CarbonMrktWatch's event, in person or online, on 9⃣Nov direct from #COP26 https://t.co/LsAuUGJsVz pic.twitter.com/VRj96BIqAq
"Article 6 must close these accounting loopholes to avoid the paradoxical situation in which emissions are falling on paper but rising in the atmosphere."— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 5, 2021
In this opinion for @socialeurope, CMW's @DiabolicalIdea outlines how we can #FixArticle6 at #COP26 https://t.co/TQRvKyLIxA
Thursday 4 November
Listen to CMW’s Jonathan Crook speak at this COP26 side event about the latest greenwashing fad: so-called climate-neutral fossil fuels.
If you are in Glasgow, join us for a lively debate on the potential role of carbon credits in accelerating climate action.— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 4, 2021
CMW's Jonathan Crook will be in conversation with representatives from @southpoleglobal, @GermanEnvAgency, @AequilibriaSrl, @Wupperinst and @newclimateinst https://t.co/qvqPS7pLnK
Wednesday 3 November
Carbon Market Watch’s Gilles Dufrasne gives the latest on “the good, the bad and the ugly” of the proposed text on Article 6 (voluntary carbon markets) at #COP26. He urges governments to close loopholes, prevent double-counting, abolish the use of old carbon credits and respect human rights.
CMW’s Khaled Diab spoke to France 24 Arabic about the highs and lows of COP26 so far.
I spoke to @France24_ar about #COP26: the US-China spat, stopping deforestation, the methane emissions pledge and Article 6 on carbon markets.— Khaled Diab (@DiabolicalIdea) November 3, 2021
Watch here (in Arabic)https://t.co/J0Evy6E09c
N.B.: They slightly misspelt my name in Arabic, it's خالد دياب
“Business as usual cannot be our benchmark to assess #climateaction anymore. Under business as usual, our planet becomes uninhabitable,” @GillesDufrasne during today’s #COP26 workshop on Future-Proof Carbon Credit Standards.#FixArticle6 #COP26Glasgow pic.twitter.com/lv8XgUEDV3— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 3, 2021
Outdated carbon credits issued under the Kyoto Protocol’s Clean Development Mechanism must be scrapped for the sake of the climate, otherwise they could lead to higher emissions, writes @GillesDufrasne #FixArticle6 #COP26 #COP26Glasgow https://t.co/foCVWbW2Nm— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 3, 2021
Tuesday 2 November
At #COP26, European Commission President @vonderleyen announced that "to avoid carbon leakage", the EU would introduce a Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism.— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 2, 2021
The CBAM must make allowances for the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable countries, urges CMW's @theagnese. pic.twitter.com/BpDwfGRh1D
The ghost of carbon credits past must not haunt #COP26. This is one of our main demands.— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 2, 2021
"These discredited credits have no place in the Paris Agreement bookkeeping system," says CMW's @Sam__Vdp.pic.twitter.com/kOgW0Rnt69 https://t.co/LDSdY5VDtK
Human rights must be at the heart of #article6. This is one of our key demands for #COP26.— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 2, 2021
"A liveable environment is a fundamental human right and human rights must be a fundamental component of the green transition," as CMW's @GillesDufrasne put it.pic.twitter.com/y55ax9GulR https://t.co/aSdhp7rPoH
Monday 1 November
Carbon markets are high on the agenda at #COP26— Carbon Market Watch (@CarbonMrktWatch) November 1, 2021
Why do they matter so much?
Read our handy Article 6 guide to find out what's at stake 👇https://t.co/iFzcUNgVFG#FixArticle6 #COP26Glasgow #ClimateAction
COP26 events in which CWM is involved (UK time):
- 03/11/2021 (14:00-15:30), “Launch of a call for establishing Future Proof Carbon Credit Standard Framework” workshop, Chinese Business pavilion.
- 04/11/2021 (17:30-18:30), “Climate responsibility, climate action and carbon credits” side event, EU pavilion.
- 08/11/2021 (17:00-18:30), “Negative emissions” side event with Bellona, Bellona pavilion.
- 09/11/2021 (13:30-15:30), “Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism” side event, Turkish pavilion.
- 09/11/2021 (16:45-18:00), “Can carbon markets benefit developing countries?” side event, Loch Lomond room.
- 09/11/2021 (17:18 to 18:30 ), “Corporate climate finance” webinar with Planete Urgence (in French).
- 10/11/2021 (11:00-12:00), Side event about Article 6, Turkish pavilion.
- 10/11/2021 (11:30-12:30), “Carbon pricing in the EU: an invitation to the world” side event, EU pavilion.
- 11/11/2021 (11:00-13:00), Side event about CORSIA, Turkish pavilion.
Articles by CMW
- COP26: The many shades of activism
- Kyoto-era carbon credits will not repay our debt to the climate
- Five reasons why carbon markets (Article 6) matter
- EU ministers sign off on COP26 position, with one caveat, Euractiv
- Concrete plans needed for Cop 26: von der Leyen, Argus Media
- COP26: Last chance for carbon trading?, Engineering and Technology Magazine
- Japan eyes international carbon offsets to deliver 2030 emission cuts, Climate Home News
- Enduring waves of climate change: Maritime decarbonization, a tempest before the calm, S&P Global Platts
- How trading CO2 could save the climate, BBC
- Glasgow Climate Negotiators Gear Up for Fight Over Trading Trees, Sky News
- These countries could be the villains of COP26, Wired
- Climate change: Is carbon offsetting a ‘dangerous distraction’ or necessary for net zero?, Sky News
- COP 26 profile: Europe sets climate bar high, Argus Media
- Shell’s Carbon Offset Claims Show Task Ahead for UN Climate Talks, Bloomberg
- ‘Chess game’ as negotiators seek elusive carbon market deal at Cop26, Climate Home News
- The blame game and missing money: your guide to COP26, Eco-Business
- COP26 : la tarification du carbone, un enjeu mondial, Les Echos
- Britain drafts COP26 deal on global aviation emissions, Reuters
- Reino Unido esboça acordo para a COP26 sobre emissões globais da aviação, CNN
- José Maria Cardoso: “Quem mais polui não pode continuar a lucrar com a poluição”, Esquerda
- Ez lesz a legnehezebb döntés az ENSZ klímakonferenciáján, 24.hu
- Climate-change conference 2021: Simon Wilson’s Glasgow Diary – November 1, New Zealand Herald
- Разговор на повышенных температурах, Kommersant
- Press review: What to expect from COP26 and Russia to tackle greenhouse gas absorption, Tass
- CMW’s Khaled Diab spoke to France 24 Arabic about the highs and lows of COP26, France 24 Arabic
- COP26’s key task: Stamping out climate cheating, Politico
- Climate conference: fix article 6, Social Europe
#COP26 Vlog 1 – Fix Article 6: Carbon Market Watch’s Gilles Dufrasne gives the latest on “the good, the bad and the ugly” of the proposed text on Article 6 (voluntary carbon markets) at COP26. He urges governments to close loopholes, prevent double-counting, abolish the use of old carbon credits and respect human rights.