We are recruiting a highly motivated and experienced Communications Director for a full-time position, initially on a one-year contract with the intention of extension, starting as soon as possible. The communications director will work in our Brussels’ office and remotely from a Belgian residence. S/he will report to our Executive Director and will lead on communication activities across our work programme.
- A challenging and exciting experience with an organisation working internationally
- The opportunity to work on various levels of EU and UN climate policy
- The chance to lead and be part of an inspiring, passionate and friendly team
Tasks and responsibilities
General communications responsibilities
- Lead Carbon Market Watch’s communications across different work areas and projects.
- Act as line manager for communication officers/interns and as the main contact point for external contractors.
- Develop and oversee messaging, draft and implement campaigns, communication and media strategies for Carbon Market Watch’ projects, publication launches, events etc.
- Update and further develop Carbon Market Watch’s communication strategy, including brand guidelines for visual identity.
- Write and edit articles, opinion pieces and press releases.
- Lead media engagement and monitoring, actively enlarge the media contact network.
- Edit and ensure high quality of publications and ensure effective reach and impact.
- Manage monthly newsletter content and distribution.
- Manage and create content for the Carbon Market Watch website and social media channels.
- Provide communication support for the team.
General support to the team
- As part of the senior management, contribute to the overall organisational strategy development and implementation.
- Ensure up to date contact databases.
- Monitor relevant climate and energy policy news.
- Support the organisation and follow up of events and capacity building activities.
Required skills and experience
- At least five years of work experience from communications, public relations, journalism or related field
- Solid experience in working with media
- Proven experience in executing successful launches, events and communication campaigns
- Experience in website and social media management
- Experience in team management, strong organisational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills. Native-level English, knowledge of other European languages (especially French and Spanish) is an advantage
- A broad understanding of EU and international climate policies, familiarity with the EU decision-making process
- Experience in setting up and leading on communications for EU-funded projects
- Great interpersonal skills and commitment to Carbon Market Watch values
What we offer
- A full-time, one-year contract under Belgian law with the intention of extension
- A competitive remuneration package in line with Brussels NGO standards
- Starting date: as early as possible (July or September)
Qualified applicants should send their CV and a letter, addressing the competencies required and their motivation to work for CMW, by 9th June COB to [email protected]
Candidates must have the right to work in the EU.
- state in your motivation letter how you came across the vacancy
- name any attachments by “surname, name, CV/motivation letter”
- put your name and “for communications director” in the subject line of the application email
Your application will be acknowledged, but we will only get back further to candidates for interview. Please refrain from individual enquiries or contact-making by any means.
Interviews are scheduled to take place in the week of 14th June.