Purpose of the position
Carbon Market Watch is seeking a dynamic, experienced and creative EU Policy Officer to support Carbon Market Watch’s European climate policy work with particular focus on the EU’s 2030 climate framework. This is a new position based in Brussels to complement the existing Carbon Market Watch team. The EU Policy Officer will report to the EU Policy Director.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Monitor and analyse relevant climate policy developments at the EU level;
- Establish and manage relationships with EU policy makers;
- Design and implement advocacy strategies;
- Reach out to and influence the relevant policy makers and other stakeholders;
- Prepare and disseminate information (reports, briefings, lobby points etc) to relevant policy makers;
- Organise policy events and webinars;
- Coordinate joint position papers and campaign strategies with other NGOs;
- Analyse and report on the implementation of the EU’s climate policies;
- Coordinate EU network newsletter and mailing list;
- Carry out these tasks in close cooperation with the Carbon Market Watch team and a large network of European and International NGOs;
- Actively support and contribute to Carbon Market Watch´s fundraising efforts and reporting requirements.
The successful candidate will combine sound knowledge of European climate change policies with experience in effective advocacy strategies. A minimum of three years of relevant experience in Brussels and the ability to work independently is essential.
Professional and personal attributes, abilities, and experiences
The ideal candidate should embody the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- A strong commitment to environmental protection and human development;
- Ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate and adapt to different audiences (political, technical, media), reach out to stakeholders, and present to and lead groups with confidence;
- Demonstrated project coordination and management skills and experience in team-work with people from diverse cultures and nationalities;
- Ability to identify relevant raising issues, formulate policy options and make recommendations;
- Sound knowledge of European climate change policies. Experience with international carbon markets is an asset;
- Ability and willingness to build contact networks among a wide range of stakeholders;
- Fluent spoken and written English essential. Other languages are considered an advantage.
We are looking for a candidate available to join our team as soon as possible. The EU Policy Officer is based in Brussels. We will offer a competitive salary in line with Brussels standards. We will offer an initial contract for one year. Contract extension is dependent on the forthcoming availability of funds.
Applicants should send their CV, references and a strong cover letter, addressing the competencies required to [email protected] by 4 January 2016 (Please specify EU Policy Officer in application email subject line). Please refer to the vacancy in the subject line of the application email. Only highly motivated and experienced candidates will be considered.
Starting Date: as soon as filled
We are also hiring an international policy officer – click here to check the job ad.