UNFCCC Side Event: Ensuring integrity of Paris Agreement Art. 6 – challenges and opportunities from a civil society perspective
Time and venue
Thursday 11 May, 16.45 – 18.15
Bonn Climate Change Conference, Room Bonn (181)
The Paris Agreement’s Article 6 opens a new era for international carbon markets, establishing multiple avenues for cooperation, including the Sustainable Development Mechanism (SDM). Carbon markets will need to function in a radically changed world, where all Parties have commitments towards a common 1.5 degree target and longer term de-carbonization goal.
At this event, experts reflected on crucial elements to ensure robust governance and social and environmental integrity of the new mechanisms. At the occasion of the event, a new policy briefing “Building blocks for a robust Sustainable Development Mechanism” will be launched.
- Overview of Parties’ views on Article 6, Wolfgang Obergassel, Wuppertal Institut
- Learning from CDM SD tool experience for Article 6, Karen Holm Olsen, UNEP DTU
- Hot air and other environmental integrity risks under Article 6, Stephanie La Hoz Theuer, independent
- Key elements for a robust SDM, Juliane Voigt, Carbon Market Watch
- Sven Braden, Liechtenstein/EIG
- Andrei Marcu, Panama
- MJ Mace, St Lucia
This event was moderated by Aki Kachi, Carbon Market Watch
18 Sep 2017