European Parliament Lunch Event: Key Findings of the CDM Integrity Study, What Next?
CDM Watch cordially invites you to discuss the key findings of the recently published European Commission “Study on the Integrity of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM)”. The speakers will also look into current challenges in the carbon market, recommended actions for reform and the role of new mechanisms for private sector financing of mitigation in developing countries.
The CDM is currently at a crossroads. Throughout 2012, the UNFCCC’s CDM Executive Board is conducting a wide-ranging review of the CDM, with a view to retooling it to become the key instrument for financing low-carbon development in developing countries after 2012.
Since the EU buys the majority of carbon credits, the EU is in a unique position to influence the direction of the CDM and the development of alternative or complementary mechanisms. In order to address this significant opportunity for reform, the European Commission has published a study in December 2011 that presents findings on (1) Merits and shortcomings of the CDM (2) Reform options at UN and EU level (3) Particular practical focus on hydro power projects (4) Join Implementation track 1 projects.
12:30 Sandwich lunch
12:40 Introduction by MEP Jo Leinen & MEP Sabine Wils
12:50 Presentation of key findings of CDM integrity study, Tanguy du Monceau, Co-Author of Study, CO2logic
13:10 Troubling project types in the CDM, Anja Kollmuss, Carbon Market Expert, CDM Watch
13:30 Demand side challenges for the CDM and new market based instruments: collapsing carbon markets? Tomas Wyns, Director, CCAP Europe
13:50 International crediting mechanisms – priorities after Durban, Peter Zapfel, Head of Policy Coordination DG Climate Action, European Commission
14.20 Closing remarks, MEP Peter Liese
- Tanguy du Monceau: Study on the Integrity of the Clean Development Mechanism
- Anja Kollmuss: Troubling offset project types
- Tomas Wyns: Demand versus Supply – The future of Carbon Markets
- CDM Watch summary of the European Commission’s Study on the Integrity of the CDM – download here
- Policy Brief: Hydro Power projects in the CDM – download here
- Policy Brief: Coal Power projects in the CDM – download here
- SEI Policy Note on coal power projects in the CDM – download here
- CDM Watch Newsletter February 2012 – download here
18 Sep 2017