Purpose of the position
Carbon Market Watch is recruiting a dynamic policy intern for a 6-month position in its Brussels office, starting in March 2014. The intern will report to the Policy Officer and will support the advocacy campaign on the 2030 climate and energy framework.
- A challenging and exciting experience with a dynamic organisation working internationally;
- The opportunity to work with senior figures in EU public affairs;
- A small financial compensation of €500/month, plus reimbursement of any expenses incurred.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Monitor and analyse relevant climate and energy policies at EU level;
- Research on key stakeholders and institutions;
- Support the preparation of documents including briefings, campaign notes and lobby points;
- Support the coordination of joint position papers and letters across the Carbon Market Watch network;
- Attend and support the organisation of relevant policy events in Brussels;
- Support in general office administration.
- Some knowledge and understanding of the EU decision making process;
- Some knowledge of and considerable interest in EU climate policies, including emissions trading and offsetting;
- Self-starter, reliable, able to multitask and prioritize own work;
- Great attitude and strong interpersonal skills; able to work independently and as part of a team;
- Perfectly fluent in written and spoken English; German, French and Spanish are considered an advantage.
- Demonstrated analytical and research gathering skills;
- In-depth understanding of the EU decision making process;
- Understanding of EU climate policies, including carbon offsetting;
- Prior experience with voluntary and/or NGO;
- Proficient in office software, especially with excel, word and outlook.
How to apply
Applicants should send their CV, references and a strong cover letter, addressing the competencies required to [email protected]. Please refer to the vacancy in the subject line of the application email. Only highly motivated and experienced candidates will be considered.
Closing date: 26 January 2014.
Starting Date: March 2014
About Carbon Market Watch: Carbon Market Watch is an initiative of several international NGOs to provide an independent perspective on individual CDM projects and to critically assess the political decision-making process affecting wider carbon market developments. Carbon Market Watch is active on three levels – at the UN level, within Europe and the Global South. We successfully advocated for stronger civil society participation, major policy changes at the UN and EU level and uncovered unprecedented scandals in the CDM. For more information, see www.carbonmarketwatch.org.