Purpose of the position
Carbon Market Watch is seeking a dynamic and experienced Policy Officer to lead Carbon Market Watch’s EU policy work on the 2030 climate and energy package. Starting date: as soon as filled.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Monitor and analyse relevant climate and energy policies at EU level;
- Establish and manage relationships with EU policy makers;
- Reach out to and influence the European institutions, policy makers and other stakeholders;
- Prepare and disseminate information (briefings, campaign notes, lobby points etc) to relevant policy makers;
- Coordinate joint position papers and letters across the Carbon Market Watch network;
- Management of policy intern;
- Organisation of policy events;
- Carry out these tasks in close cooperation with the Carbon Market Watch team and a large network of European and International NGOs;
- Actively support and contribute to Carbon Market Watch´s fundraising efforts and reporting requirements.
The successful candidate will combine experience in effective EU lobbying strategies with sound knowledge of European and International climate change policies. A minimum of three years of relevant experience in Brussels and the ability to work independently is essential. Prior experience with voluntary and/or NGO work is desirable.
Professional and personal attributes, abilities, and experiences
The ideal candidate should embody the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- A strong commitment to environmental protection and human development;
- Ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated analytical skills, drafting of briefing papers and experience with climate change policy analysis;
- Superior oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate and adapt to different audiences (political, technical, media), reach out to stakeholders, and present to and lead groups with confidence;
- Demonstrated project coordination and management skills and experience in team-work with people from diverse cultures and nationalities;
- Ability to identify relevant raising issues, formulate policy options and make recommendations;
- Sound knowledge of European climate change policies. Experience with international carbon markets, aviation and forestry policies is an asset;
- Ability and willingness to build contact networks among a wide range of stakeholders;
- Fluent spoken and written English essential. German, French and Spanish considered an advantage.
We are looking for a candidate available to join our team as soon as possible. The Policy Officer is based in Brussels and will report to the Director. We offer a competitive salary in line with Brussels standards. We will offer an initial contract for one year. Contract extension is dependent on the forthcoming availability of funds.
Applicants should send their CV, references and a strong cover letter, addressing the competencies required to [email protected]. Please refer to the vacancy in the subject line of the application email. Only highly motivated and experienced candidates will be considered.
Closing date: 26 January 2014
Starting Date: as soon as filled